BRIGADIER GENERAL DUKE M.OTA, JR., United States Air Force
Brig Gen Duke M. Ota, Jr. serves as Assistant Adjutant General – Air, Headquarters Hawaii Air National Guard, Fort Ruger, Hawaii. This position is located in the State Air National Guard Headquarters executing the mission with three flying units, six geographical units, and an authorized end strength of 2,500 personnel.
He serves as a key advisor to the State Adjutant General and is the principle representative and spokesperson of the Hawaii Air National Guard senior leadership. He develops and recommends policy consistent with the guidance of the Adjutant General. He formulates and develops long-range plans/programs and short-term strategic plans. He provides thorough and extensive knowledge of USAF/ANG organizational structures, missions and objectives in the management of ANG mission programs.
Brig Gen Ota graduated from Hawaii Pacific University in 1988 and received his commission from the Academy of Military Science in 1992. He served as an enlisted active duty member for eight years in the transportation career field before joining the Hawaii Air National Guard in June 1991, serving as the Logistics Readiness and Aircraft Maintenance Officer. He also served as Chief of Supply, Installation Deployment Officer, Squadron and Group Commander, and Director.
Brig Gen Ota’s prior out-of-state assignment was Director, Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection with First Air Force, Tyndall Air Force Base, FL. His duties included executing Defense Support to Civil Authority responsibilities during Hurricane Michael and Hurricane Dorian; and providing Theater Security Cooperation with Mexico and Canada. He executed the homeland defense mission via managing the Alert Forces Operational Assessments for all NORAD alert combat aircraft units ensuring forces were prepared to conduct their missions to include managing the POTUS air defense support.
- 1988 Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Hawaii Pacific University, Honolulu, Hawaii
- 1990 Masters of General Administration, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Michigan
- 1992 Academy of Military Science, McGee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
- 1993 Supply Officers Course, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
- 1999 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2005 Contingency Wartime Planners Course, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- 2006 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
- 2009 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
- 2010 AFCOMAC Senior Officers Orientation Course, Beale AFB, Calif.
- 2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
- 2016 Comprehensive Crisis Management Course, Daniel K. Inouye Asia-Pacific Center, Honolulu
- 2017 DoD Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA II), San Antonio, Texas
- 2019 Joint and Combined Warfighting School - Hybrid, Joint Forces College, Norfolk, Va. 2021 Joint Task Force Commander Training Course – Fort Carson, Colo.
- 2021 Dual Status Commander Orientation Course – Fort Carson, Colo.
- November 1992 – December 1995, Officer-In-Charge Combat Operations Flight, 154th Resource Management Squadron, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- January 1996 – October 1997, Officer-In-Charge Management and Systems Flight, 154th Logistics Squadron, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- November 1997 – March 2002, Chief of Supply and Munitions Accountable Systems Officer, 154th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- March 2002 – September 2003, LRS Operations Officer, 154th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- October 2003 – August 2005, Installation Deployment Officer, 154h Logistics Readiness Squadron, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- September 2005 – November 2009, Commander, 154th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii December 2009 – July 2010, Commander, 154th Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- July 2010 – July 2014, Deputy Commander, 154th Mission Support Group, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- July 2014 – January 2017, Commander, 154th Mission Support Group, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- January 2017 – May 2020, Director, Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, First Air Force, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- May 2020 – November 2020, Director of Staff, Headquarters Hawaii ANG, Fort Ruger, Hawaii
- December 2020 – Present, Assistant Adjutant General – Air, Headquarters Hawaii ANG, Fort Ruger, Hawaii
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf cluster Air Force Commendation Medal
- AF Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters National Defense Service Medal with bronze device
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Military Outstanding Volunteer service Medal
- AF Overseas Ribbon Long
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal with hour glass
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- Second Lieutenant Nov. 19, 1992
- First Lieutenant Nov. 19, 1995
- Captain Jan. 05, 1999
- Major May 01, 2003
- Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 19, 2009
- Colonel Dec. 3, 2014
- Brigadier General Dec. 1, 2020
(Current as of March 2021)